VDI enables businesses and IT departments to streamline the cost of equipment by using a single server to host multiple end-users’ desktops. It is a highly secure platform and accessible from virtually anywhere.
Now there is VDI Plus if you will! Previously VDI meant that the capabilities of thin clients were limited to only essential applications. This is no longer the case. All apps – Windows, Linux, mobile, web and SaaS – are not only accessible from a single interface; they are also accessed through single-sign-on (SSO).
- Unified experience for each user
- Single secure place to access everything needed to be productive
- Employees access apps and files through the same interface regardless of device or network
SSO across all platforms provides a great experience for users — no more recalling what password is used for which app — and encourages good password behaviour, which we are always in favour of here in Presidio.
All files including SharePoint, Dropbox and Google Drive can be accessed from one place. This means that you don’t need to open the file storage app first. When you double-click the file, it opens in the correct app.
In the same way, if you can’t remember where you stored a file, you can search all files rather than having to search for it within each app.
Benefits of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure:
- Secure, monitored virtual environment
- Save time with centralised management and backup
- Easy, remote access from any location
- Reduce costs on software licenses as well as PCs and workstations
- Reduce IT staff workload. Your IT staff only has the one system to manage, patch or update instead of hundreds of individual laptops/desktops.
- It can also help you reduce your carbon emissions
In which situations is VDI at its best?
- Workstations for contract or temporary employees. Instead of having to provide a laptop or workstation for temporary employees, you can create virtual workstations in the cloud. This cuts costs and means that as contractors rotate, each can sign into the same workstation.
- In a similar way, if contractors need access to your data, create a cloud desktop instead. This means that should the contractor’s laptop be compromised, your corporate and privileged data hasn’t been. You can also assign security access according to their security clearance, so they can’t access information they shouldn’t.
- In the event of a natural disaster or emergency, you can take your desktop backups and create access via the cloud so that employees can be back up and running quickly.
- When Windows apps need more power than is available on an endpoint device or for very large files
- VDI is great when highly-available apps need more uptime than a regular device can provide.
WATCH THE VIDEO: Are you ready for a digital workspace?